[Towertalk] rotator cable lightning protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] rotator cable lightning protection
From: SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:37:05 -0500
Pete:

     I wound a few turns of my rotator cable into a solenoid form about 2
inches in diameter just below the rotator plate.  Held it into shape with
some tape and cable ties.  Did the same thing with the cable at the base of
the tower just before it entered a metallic box to go into the shack via a
conduit run.

     My theory (ok - my guess) is that this bit of inductance would buck a
nearby lightning strike somewhat and reduce the energy that actually makes
it into the rotator (via the top solenoid) and into the shack (via the
bottom one.)

    However, I still have a Polyphaser shunt arrester for the rotator lines
in another metallic box outside of the shack at the opposite end of the
conduit run, where I also have my single point ground (SPG) panel.  Here,
the coax shields and the arrester are tied into an aluminum angle piece that
is bolted to the ground wire (#2 solid tinned copper) that goes to a ground
rod.  One of my tower's ground radials (one of three buried 18 inches deep)
also connects to this rod, so I have a continuous conductor from the tower
to the SPG.  The conduit and this radial are in separate trenches about 12
feet apart to reduce the amount of lightning energy coupling into the coax
shields in the conduit.  The two meet just outside the SPG box.

     I completed the tower installation late last year, after the summer
lightning season, so we'll both see how this technique works this summer.

GL es 73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F