[Towertalk] (no subject)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] (no subject)
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:07:38 EST
In a message dated 3/25/02 6:56:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, sparks@apk.net
writes:

> I'm considering a 96 ft self-supporting Trylon tower.  To maintain a
>  semi-peaceful relationship with my neighbors, I'm considering locating it
in
> my
>  woods.  I have a small clearing in a good spot, and I'm willing to cut a
few
>  more trees down if I need to.  Trees are 50-70ft, and all of my RF would
be
> VHF  and above to 10GHz.
>
>  I've considered some of the annoyances of this such as difficulty of
getting
>  concrete back there for the base,

    Piece of cake. Just hire a line pump (truck mounted concrete pumper).
They're reasonably priced ($4-500) and can pump up to 400 feet. Option #2 is
to use one of those powered buggies - they're even cheaper but more work.

>  the need to erect w/o a crane,

    Another piece of cake. With two guys on the tower you can build it on the
tower like an erector set. You can do 56 feet a day easy.

>  feedline losses, etc, and I think I can overcome/tolerate them.
>
>  Has anyone ever put a tower in the woods?  Love it?  Regret it?  What am I
> not thinking about?

    The only negative would be the attenuation from trees/wet leaves at the
frequencies you mentioned but there's not much you can do about that.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower work for amateurs