[Towertalk] Tower base "solution"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tower base "solution"
From: rhodes@evertek.net (Jim Rhodes)
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 17:42:56 -0600
At 03:17 PM 4/4/02, Stu Greene wrote:
>At 11:09 AM 4/4/02 -0800, Chris BONDE wrote:
>>With the SARCASM do I detect something like, "This might be an idea that
>>will catch aon and it will ruin my business?" Note sarcasm.  It was just
>>an idea that I have talked over with some others.  If the lamp standards,
>>traffic control lights etc can use pre-cast blocks, and if, easier
>>and  heaper why cannot ham towers.  Maybe you are correct in the engineer
>>but why not have the engineer sign off on the cast in the hole, whcih
>>cold be less controllable.
>
>Some questions:  Do you have the tower in question?  Are you a
>professional engineer?  Are you suggesting that a PE sign off on something
>which the manufacturer strongly recommends and which might be required by
>building codes?
>And finally, this is a sarcastic question, why do you impute self interest
>in the advice a knowledgeable professional installer gave without compensation?

Possibly because Steve gave no real answer other than his usual & prudent
"do what the manufacturer says". I think the man was trying to ask "Why
doesn't the manufacturer say that this is OK?" Steve gave a rather flip
answer to a serious question. Maybe someone else out there can fill us in
with a little more background. I am no engineer, just a pill pusher, but it
seems like if you can use forms in the ground & backfill around the base,
you could just as well take a base that was formed elsewhere and use it as
well. But like Steve says, you have to get it engineered. Can anyone out
there give us a reasoned answer? I am sure that it would require more
concrete. How much more?