[Towertalk] More on Lightning protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] More on Lightning protection
From: kr1g@hotmail.com (ted demopoulos)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 02:03:38 +0000
If I recall correctly, K1DG planned on 4 sets of guys, reasoning that 4 sets
are better than 3. He had installed 2 sets so far, planning on installing
the final 2 the next day, when a big windstorm came by. As he had erected
his tower in a swamp to avoid being near any tall trees that might possibly
fall down in such a storm and injure his tower, and the tower and stacks
spun to the ground with such amazing force, the tower inverted. To this day,
it is upside down and quite stable since he did, according to plan, install
the 3rd and 4th set of guys the following day.

The tower had a 20m stack, however the resonance was slightly changed, and
it became a very effective 440Mhz moonbounce antenna.

Unfortunately, seasonal variations due to changes in ground conductivity and
mosquito breeding patterns regularly effect the resonace of the inverted
array. This alone has been citing as the prime cause of his winning the
Poisson d'Avril contest since its inception.

I do have some doubts as to the validity of the results, since we have a
sample set of size 1. I believe, at least in major part, that Doug's
contesting results are due to 4 sets being better than 3. I further
postulate that the number of guys is even more important when one is in a
less propagationally blessed area than New England. I would suggest for
those in the "Black Holes" of W0/W8/W9, BY9/BY0 and JT that 5 to 6 sets of
guys per tower may be more appropriate.

Scientifically yours es 73
Ted KR1G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>