[Towertalk] More on Lightning protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] More on Lightning protection
From: drboz@pacbell.net (Donald R. Bozarth)
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:21:13 -0700
As I understand lightning, it happens when the difference in potential
between the "sky" and the "ground" becomes great enough that a discharge
becomes the law.

I'm told that one way to help ensure that something high, like a tower,
doesn't present a convenient place for lightning to establish its path is to
"dissipate" the charge on the tower.  Hence those bushy looking dissipaters.
Attached at the top of the tower (not the mast!) these dissipaters are
supposed to bleed off charges that a tower can have, making it a less likely
target for lightning.  They also provide an "umbrella" of sorts for things
within some radius from the tower.  Seems logical.  Anyone with any
experience??

Don
W6DRB