[Towertalk] First day at Dayton - Attendance continues to slide

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] First day at Dayton - Attendance continues to slide
From: k9zm@frontiernet.net (Greg Gobleman)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 09:30:52 -0500
> "The bad news is that the Hamvention continues its attendance slide."
>
> This is a trend, particularly since 9/11, seen in conventions/conferences
in
> the business world as well.  Many articles in the business press have
> addressed the substantial downturn in the travel and convention/conference
> industries which actually started several years ago.

About the time the local gasoline suppliers started gouging us.  30 cent a
gallon hikes in the price in one day have contributed to me not going
anywhere.  I have a 3.5 mpg Ranger Bass boat which has seen little use for
the last 3 years and it looks like this year is no exception.

We need the motel/tourism industry to throw some weight around in congress
to get gasoline prices stable at 99 cents per gallon if you want to see
attendance figures go up.  Sure, the wife and I have the money to get to
Dayton, but unless she has some to spend shopping, we ain't going.  (she
wasn't even concerned about me having the money for the fleamarket:)

73
Greg K9ZM