[Towertalk] silver solder ok for Ground wire to rod ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] silver solder ok for Ground wire to rod ?
From: olinger@bellsouth.net (olinger@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:08:47 -0400
A direct or close lightning strike can VAPORIZE solder.

The options are Cadweld or robust mechanical clamping. The latter must be
periodically inspected.

The solder is useless and can defeat a copper-to-copper clamping. The problem
is not the conductivity of the solder, it is the melting point.

The solder will cause a gap in the copper-to-copper contact, creating a
copper-solder-copper sandwich.

Although a soldered joint initially seems fine with an ohmmeter, the high
current of a lightning strike will vaporize the solder leaving a gap, and the
conductors no longer reliably clamped together. While the first strike will
probably continue conduction across the gap as long as the current does not
break, this can happen one day without your knowledge, and from that time on
your grounding is defective.

You want clamped bright copper to bright copper direct contact, or the cadweld.

No solder.