[Towertalk] silver solder ok for Ground wire to rod ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] silver solder ok for Ground wire to rod ?
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 00:35:45 -0400
NO. Sil-Flow is brazing rod (almost all copper) and you are telling
him that SILVER SOLDER is OK, when you're welding. That stuff just
barely melts before the copper does. You have to know what you're
doing with a torch to use the stuff. Sil-Flow is good stuff, but it's
welding.

Have a look at
http://www.thermadyne.com/vec/literature/pdfs/msds/WELDALLY.pdf,

   where it's plainly referred to as welding material, and has a few
things to say about the fumes and dust.

Lightning current will take a connection to way over the melting point
of what most people call silver solder in an instant. It's vaporized,
and if there's no copper to copper clamp, your ground connection is
toast. #4 is just getting big enough that lightning doesn't vaporize
the copper. With a good strike on #4, even Sil-Flow might flow
selectively. I would clamp it properly and then Sil-Flow clamp and
all. Won't have to worry about the clamp going bad.

Then again that makes cadwelds look simple by comparison, doesn't it.

DO NOT SOLDER LIGHTNING GROUNDS. You can clamp them, you can weld
them. No Soldering.