[Towertalk] silver solder ok for Ground wire to rod ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] silver solder ok for Ground wire to rod ?
From: ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com (Ronald KA4INM Youvan)
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 03:08:35 -0400
> Is it acceptable to silver solder the #4 solid copper to the 8' ground stakes
> I'm (slowly) pounding in? I was considering making a full tight loop around
> the stake
> and silver soldering rod to wire, in lieu of clamps.

> Good idea or bad?

   The best!  I use "Sil-Flow 5" 94% copper, 5% silver 1& phosphorous

1,750 degree melting temperature.

   I consider such a connection correctly made, (to copper or brass,
not steel or zinc) to be superior to thermite welds, hands down.

   The word SOLDER makes the uninitiated think lead and tin, this
is actually `braze welding'.
   It takes one or more (depending on wire size etc.) turbo torches,
I use acetylene and air (presto-lite). {good for 3,500 degrees
or so}

        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997   SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm