[Towertalk] TH6DXX trap cleaning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] TH6DXX trap cleaning
From: ditzian@alltel.net (ditzian@alltel.net)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:06:22 -0400
Based on a consensus from this reflector, I decided to take down my
TH6DXX and remove and clean the traps. I am now on the first trap,
the left, inside trap on the driven element (one of the more likely
to be a culprit in my swr problem).

I have the trap in the house, clamped gently in a vise; I have
removed the final setscrew that holds the outer cover to the inner
aluminum tube and the plastic end caps are off.

I am unable to get the insides out. I can tap on two places, either
on the inner aluminum tube, from either end, or on the plastic ring
that fills between the inner tube and the outer cover. Only the inner
tube moves. I cannot move the plastic rings, or so it seems. Perhaps
I should tap the inner tube all the way through, and then pull on the
rest of the insides.

I hesitate to use substantial force, since, I believe, MFJ/Hy-Gain is
unlikely to have replacement parts for this tribander that is more
than fifteen years out of production.

I can see inside the weep holes, and it seems that very tiny
creatures have migrated inside, taking with them a substantial
portion of my real estate and stuffing this inside the trap. I will
have to get a new survey to see how much my property has shrunk. I
would really like to get inside each trap and either clean things out
or start charging rent.

Does anyone have experience with opening and cleaning these traps?

73,
Jan Ditzian
KX2A
kx2a@arrl.net