[Towertalk] Rohn 25G Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rohn 25G Questions
From: wendell@wyly.org (Wendell Wyly W5FL)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 21:41:40 -0500
Be sure to look in the legs of the tower for the bolts and nuts.

They are special galvanized FINE THREAD hardware and come with the tower.
Several people found them after they had bought new hardware.  Use the tower
the way it was designed.  Do not crush the tower legs with the bolts.  Put
the tower together on the ground, mark the legs, take it apart, then stack
the tower.  Put the first section in concrete with the second section
already mounted on it.  Now only 4 or 5 more sections to go for 55 or 65
feet.

I am sure you can guy it within a 39 feet radius, but you should get a PE to
calculate the guying and guy anchors for you.  My 64 foot Rohn 45 Foldover
is guyed on a 25 foot radius using 8 guys.  They are 1/4 EHS with high
strength turnbuckles.  If you need guy wire brackets, you probably need a
Rohn 45 tower.  Most of the Rohn literature simply shows guys directly to a
tower leg (see illustration in Rohn catalog).  I would not want a 60 foot
tower guyed at the 45 foot level.  For 86.6 mph, they move the guys up to
the 30 and 60 foot level.