[Towertalk] Rohn 25G Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rohn 25G Questions
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 06:22:35 -0700 (PDT)
N3TBN wrote:
> I recently acquired a Rohn 25G Tower and I have a
> few questions for the list members.
> Why are the holes on the section legs 2 different
> sizes? One is 3/16' and the other is 1/4".

It's possible they are different so that it would be
obvious which holes should line up... IOW, to make it
difficult for the installer to *accidentally* align
the bottom hole of the upper section with the top hole
on the lower section and thus not have the two
sections mated completely.  It could also be to
optimize the amount of bolt vs the amount of tower leg
left intact.  As has been said, the truth may never be
known.

> Can I drill out the 3/16" holes and make them 1/4"
> like the rest or should I leave well enough alone?

In a word, NO!  That would destroy the integrity of
the zinc plating (galvanizing).  Buy the honest-to-
goodness Rohn JBK kits for Rohn 25.  A couple $ per
section.

> Last but not least, where can I buy Rohn accessories
> for a 25G? Guy wire brackets, etc.

Companies geared for the Amateur market:
http://www.texastowers.com
http://www.reprise.com/antronics/default.asp

Geared for the Industrial market (a little slow; be
sure to ask about stock first):
http://www.hillradio.net
http://www.towerconnections.com

As always, check the HUGE links database on
http://www.eham.net

Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com