[Towertalk] Rohn 25 Guy Bracket/Torque Arm Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rohn 25 Guy Bracket/Torque Arm Question
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:43:26 -0500
Hi all,

Well, last weekend we got the tower up and I spent most of Saturday
afternoon tensioning the guys and making sure the tower was plum.

Tonight I climbed it again to do some more antenna/cable work at the top.
One thing I noticed was that the guy bracket had literally slipped downward
slightly on one of the guys.  I thought I had gotten it tight, but
apparently that was not the case.

This happened on the guy that has the steepest angle of the three guys.  I
have varying angles off the tower because of my geometry.  Yet, the angle is
probably less than 45 degrees though from perpendicular to the tower (I
haven't calculated it).  I guess that makes sense as it has the most
downward force on the bracket.

My question is this: Is it a problem with the torque arm/guy bracket slipped
down like this?  I don't think it can go any farther down.  Or do I need to
losen the guy tension, put the bracket back in place and tighten up again?
The tower is still solid up top with it as is.

The torque arm/guy bracket is what I believe is an older style from Rohn.
The bracket is 3 pieces going around the tower and the arms are flat steel
pieces about a foot long coming off the bracket at the same angle as the guy
wires.

The tower is 53 feet high and is guyed around 48 feet.  This problem is
happening only on the top guy bracket.

And no, I don't have a tension gauge (yet).

I hope I can just leave this be....

73,

Jon
NA9D