[Towertalk] BIG GRIP INSTALLATION PROCEDURE AND GUY INSULATOR QUESTION

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] BIG GRIP INSTALLATION PROCEDURE AND GUY INSULATOR QUESTION
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:29:38 EDT
In a message dated 9/19/02 4:04:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time, nu7j@hotmail.com
writes:

> My first question is whether it's really necessary to install some sort of
>  holding device over the ends of the big grip, and if so, what?  I know
that
>  they make a special cone shaped device for this purpose, because the used
>  guys I purchased had them installed.  I removed some of them and re-used
>  them, they work great.  I read some TowerTalk archives that suggested
using
>  tie wraps for this purpose.  I tried that but the tie wraps slip right
off.

    The little cone-shaped devices are used to keep the ends from unraveling
in cases where you would have ice coming down the guys. In your part of the
country you'll never have that problem so the installation of them is mostly
superfluous.

    I've never heard of a Preform unraveling by itself so the use of tie
wraps on the ends is more of a belt-and-suspenders kind of thing.

>  Is it OK to use scotch 33 or 88 tape for this purpose (with or without tie
>  wraps underneath?)  I cannot imagine a scenario that would cause the big
>  grip to  become detached, at least not in the mild climate here in western
>  WA.

    They're just fine the way they are, the tape really wouldn't add
anything.

>  Second question:  I purchased guy insulators from Texas Towers.  I did not
>  specify the size when I made the purchase and they didn't ask the question
>  so I assumed there was just one standard size.  The insulators are much
>  smaller than expected.  (For that price, I was expecting them to be the
size
>  of an ostrich egg!).   The insulators are too small for the big grips, as
>  evidenced by the fact that the insulator slips out of position.  I tried
>  keep the guy wire pulled tight enough to hold the insulators in position
but
>  after installing the first set of guy wires to the anchors, I noticed that
>  some of the insulators were offset a bit (i.e. the guy wire is not resting
>  in the insulator groove as it should).  I am concerned that the insulators
>  could break.  I suppose that would not be a catastrophic failure because
the
>  two thimbles would still be holding the guy wire if the insulator broke.
>  What are your opinions regarding the use of small insulators?  Is there a
>  technique for holding the insulators in position during the installation
>  stage? (Have I discovered yet another use for duct tape?)

    The insulator also functions as a thimble (that is, to keep the Preform
at a constant radius while under tension).

    Texas Towers usually has the bigger size insulators (I think they're #502
or something like that). If the Preform fits thru them, then they should be
just fine. If you don't like the fit, call Texas Towers and see if you can
exchange yours to get the larger ones.

    BTW the SECOND overlap marks on the Preforms are to be used when the
Preform goes thru an insulator. Since most insulators are fairly big, using
the second set of marks gives you a better angle than if you used the first
set of marks.

    If you want to tape them to hold them in position, feel free.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -