[Towertalk] BIG GRIP INSTALLATION PROCEDURE AND GUY INSULATOR QUESTION

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] BIG GRIP INSTALLATION PROCEDURE AND GUY INSULATOR QUESTION
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:41:23 -0600
Hmmm.... I'm not sure if I would trust USED grips on a new
installation where they had been unwound and then rewound...
I buy my grips NEW by the box, directly from Preformed Line Products
in Ohio.

Regarding end caps, I believe that is primarily to prevent problems
with ICE sliding down LONG guys.  I have 7 guyed tower that have
been up for 10 to 20 years with NO end caps (in Alabama...NO ice).

I use the smaller insulators (1.25 X 2.?? inchses) with my 3/16
inch guys.  I 'reform' the preform guy grip radius using a rubber
mallot and piece of wood after wrapping the ends together for
a couple of turns around the colored markers.

(YES, I know this is NOT what the manufacturer says...
  BUT, none of my grips have failed and all of my towers
  are still standing.)

Tom  N4KG