[Towertalk] Can my 40' tower be a 160m vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Can my 40' tower be a 160m vertical?
From: spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:36:14 -0400
Julio:

     Yes, radials are needed.  For my shunt-fed tower I have only 7 radials,
only five of which are over 100 feet long.  The other two are 30 feet long.
BUT - this tower has a pretty decent lightning ground:  three buried #2
tinned copper wires (130 feet total), down about 18 inches and Cadwelded to
twelve ground rods.  I can't help but think that these buried radials
contribute to the coupling to the earth and provide some benefit to the
tower on 160M.  I've been thinking of experimenting with removing the
lightning grounds and using only the radials for an evening or two, but I
digress...

     Someone else on the reflector said if you can't put in
quarter-wavelength radials, it'll do you no good to put in a lot of  shorter
ones.  Somewhere in my readings on Topband antenna design I ran into this
same rule.  If you can only put in short radials, about 20-24 will get you
close to the max efficiency possible with such short radials.  No need to
put in 50, 100 or more shorties.  So there's hope for us Topbanders who are
confined to small backyards!

73 de
Gene Smar AD3F