[Towertalk] choices

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] choices
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:57:28 -0600
40M dipoles work well for DX at 60 ft and above.
50 ft is 'OK' but not great.

80M dipoles *begin* to 'play' around 90 ft or so.
I'm pretty happy with my 130 ft high dipoles.

Anything less is a cloud warmer, which may work
some DX, but is much better for local contacts.

You would be MUCH better off with a GOOD vertical
(and radial field) for Low Band DX given your height
restrictions.

Tom  N4KG

On Tue, 08 Oct 2002  David <k4zzr@bellsouth.net> writes:
> hi....after reading the reviews on Eham and looking at all the
> websites for
> various wire antenna mfgs, I'm still not sure which one to chose.
> I've got a Butternut HF6V vertical which works ok, but I'd still like
to put
> up a good wire antenna for 75 and 40 meters, primarily for DX.   The
apex
> would be about 37' if I hang it from the second section of my tower.
> I've got
> room for 150' horizontally.   The trees aren't that tall here, so
> the ends could be about 20-25' high.
>
> Which would you recommend - a 75/40 trapped inverted vee,  a G5RV,
> and a Carolina Windom 80 for DX?   (I have a good transmatch if
needed).
> Another option, could someone point me to any info about loading the
tower
> for 75?
>
> Thanks guys!
> David, K4ZZR