[Towertalk] choices

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] choices
From: w7why@harborside.com (Tom Osborne)
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 20:45:33 +0100
Steve Katz wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> Re G5RV on 80m, I like to think of it as leaky dummy load.  It's >amazing how
> much better a simple 125' dipole works, at only 23' >longer...

Right on on that one!  I had one up here for about a week and
don't think I've used a worse antenna.  A random length of wire
worked better.
Another good antenna is the inverted L.  I have one for 160 and
it works great.  If I had 37' vertical and 150 feet horizontal
one could be put up for 40, 80 and 160 thrown in for good
measure.  Don't know how they model in NEC or anything, just that
it works.  I've always wondered how an antenna can be modeled in
NEC to give a reading like "3.2db" or "5.1db" gain.  Especially
on a vertical. It seems there are just too many variables to
model.  How many radials?  How long?  Are they buried?  Are they
laying on the ground?  Are they elevated?  Is it wire?  Tubing?
If tubing, is it tapered or not.  How far apart are the ends of
the radials?  What kind of support?  If metal, how far away is
the wire or does it just stick up in the air by itself?  How is
it fed?  Directly?  Through a matching device?  I think a better
figure would be "around 3db" instead of "3.2" absolutely.
Tom W7WHY