[Towertalk] Grips vs. Clamps (was Huh?!?)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Grips vs. Clamps (was Huh?!?)
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:36:12 -0400
The following message was sent by Peter Larsen <ve6yc@shaw.ca> on Fri, 08 Nov
2002 06:25:52 -0700.

> >IMO, grips' biggest drawback is that they can only be reused within
> >narrow limits.  Practically, they cannot be "reused" ...
>
> Grips cost so little in the grand scheme of erecting and keeping up
> a tower that I would never reuse them but get new ones.

I agree (though their reuse is never really an option IF one follows
the manufacturers' instructions).  Keep a few used ones around though -
they make good temporary grips for tensioning your guy wires with a
comealong.  I sprayed painted a few with a flourescent orange paint so
they'd be easy to tell apart.  Turns out, they get so ugly after a few
uses, that the paint wasn't really necessary (good insurance though).