[Towertalk] Grips vs. Clamps (was Huh?!?)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Grips vs. Clamps (was Huh?!?)
From: af4mp@mindspring.com (Zyg Skrobanski)
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 20:59:05 -0500
At 06:25 PM 11/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Texas Towers sells them for $5-$6 a piece
>http://www.texastowers.com/mischard.htm
>
>Note that they were described as costing little "in the grand scheme" - they
>are still a significant expense if you break your guys up a lot with
>insulators.

Interesting - as I'm just about to install a guyed tower with 500D
insulators breaking up the 3/16" guys.

Texas Towers web site gives the price for a 500D insulator as $2.95, and
3/16" cable clamps at $0.55 each.

The web site also provides the price for 3/16" grips as $5.50 each, BUT
indicates that the 3/16" grip should be used with a larger insulator, the
502 priced at $5.50.

So, if I compare the price of installing just one insulator (the 502) with
grips (i.e 2 grips) the total is $15.50 versus the smaller insulator (the
500D) and six clamps where the total is $6.25.  Going with the grips is
148% more expensive, not exactly an insignificant difference!
--
Zyg AF4MP
Roswell GA USA