[Towertalk] Grips vs. Clamps (was Huh?!?)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Grips vs. Clamps (was Huh?!?)
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 00:01:06 -0600
I know of TWO towers that fell full length from cables pulling
through TWO cable clamps and heard of a third (120 footer)
where all but the BOTTOM set of guys pulled out just after
the tower was installed (no antennas yet).

My first introduction to guy grips was in the mid 1960's
by W1EVT who used them on his 19 R25 towers (140ft)
on a vacation trip to New England.  I've been using them
on my own towers since 1975.

Tom  N4KG

On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 Zyg Skrobanski <af4mp@mindspring.com> writes:
> At 09:13 PM 11/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
> >Until you have to retighten the cable clamps that are located
> half-way up
> >your top guy set.  Not having to go up after them ... priceless
>
> OK; but what did people do, not so long ago, when grips were
> generally
> unknown to the ham community?  Were all those clamped insulator
> installations unsafe?  There didn't appear to be a spate of tower
> collapses.
>
> Granted the grips are nice and elegant, but they are expensive.
>
> If properly installed, do clamps really need to be retightened?
> --
> Zyg AF4MP
> Roswell GA USA

Only $9.95 per month!