[Towertalk] tower mast = to pin OR not to pin

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] tower mast = to pin OR not to pin
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:24:51 EST
In a message dated 11/18/02 6:43:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
xppq@pyramid.net writes:

> HOW necessary is it to drill a PIN
>  thru the mast to insure that it does
>  not rotate???
>
>  Obviously , this might stress the rotor
>  given high winds - but it is unlikely
>  the yagis would rotate on the mast

    For years I've been NOT pinning masts because many times the mast slips
in the rotator in the wind and it's easier to recalibrate the antennas than
it is to do a rotor swap.

    With big wind-induced torque and a pinned mast you're likely to find the
next weak point in the rotator system - usually the transmission gears. This
may be more of a problem with the Hy-Gain-type rotators.

    Now with the M2 Orion rotator and the Yaesus though I've started to pin
them. I have about 100% mast slippage with Orion rotors over a year's time
and started pinning them in self-defense. Since it has a nice worm-gear
arrangement, there's not much that'll break from wind-induced torque. The
problem with the Yaesu's is that they're tough to get tight enough without
breaking the mast clamp.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -