[Towertalk] Roof Tower stuff.... 2 by 4s, city, :(

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Roof Tower stuff.... 2 by 4s, city, :(
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 16:52:46 -0600
Not a bad way to do it, but what about water and moisture collecting under
the plywood?  I think you are in CA so you don't likely get as much rain as
we do here and I certainly don't think you have the problem of snow
collecting on your roof and then melting come thaws and refreezing, etc. I'd
be concerned that water during one of those freeze/thaw cycles might get
under the plywood and then force its way back up under your shingles.

What was your experience, Barry?

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 12/7/02 3:13 PM, Barry Bettman at coaching@barrybettman.com wrote:

> I have had experience mounting a 15' roof tower.  I used 2 sheets of 4'
> x 8' plywood, and just let them float on both sides of the roof apex.
> Put then put the the Create Roof tower on the plywood, and guyed the
> tower and two levels to the 4 corners of the 2"x6" eye beams.  I put a
> big eye bolt into the eye beams.  I had the tower up with a KT34A for
> about 3 years before I moved.  I never had a problem and when I took the
> roof tower down, the there were no holes in the roof and only had to
> leave the eye bolts behind. It was very clean.  Maybe this solution
> might work for you under the heading of "temporary installation"?

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC