[TowerTalk] Tower Bases

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Bases
From: kr7x@attbi.com (Hank Lonberg)
Date: Thu Feb 27 12:01:22 2003
Hello Tim:

Well you are close to what can be done. Take your cross arms and fill in
the empty spaces in between each arm with concrete and reinforcing and
you have what is called in various circles a spread footing, a mat
footing or sometimes even a raft footing. It is a large square or even
rectangle in plan. Square shape works better for freestanding or
cantilevered towers.

What happens is that the overturning moment is resisted by the strength
of of the soil on the underside of the footing. The distribution of the
soil pressure is determined by the geometric shape which defines the
geometric moment of inertia of the cross section. The up shot is the
larger the plan dimensions the larger the I of the section and the lower
the soil pressure for a given overturning moment and vertical load. What
you do is to increase the plan dimensions until the soil pressure is
equal to or lower than the allowable soil strength.

Since this discussion is about towers and wind load the wind can blow
from any direction and there fore the foundation needs to accommodate
that fact. A cross may be ok for four directions but not all directions.

The other common cantilever tower foundation is the post type which in
usually square but deep. I acts more like a embedded post to resist the
overturning moment. Both of these depend on the characteristic allowable
soil strength. Rock is a different matter and can be handled
differently.

>From memory a 80 foot freestanding tower with 30 square feet of antenna
at the top typically, in very poor soil, would take say a 6'x6'x 8' deep
post type foundation or a 8'x8' by 2.5' plus/minus spread footing to
accommodate the same moment. It is a matter of what works better in a
given situation. The spread footing requires more concrete but it is
easier to dig 2.5' down than 8' down. On the other hand that is a big
area for the spread and you may not have that available. Also the bottom
of the spread must be below the frost line so it may be thicker just for
that.

Anyway you were close Tim and your idea is actually used quite commonly
in designing foundations.

73

H.S. Lonberg,P.E.,S.E. / KR7X
Lonberg Design Group, LTD.