[TowerTalk] Tower Bases

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Bases
From: RedHaines@centurytel.net (Red)
Date: Thu Feb 27 11:25:48 2003
Hi, Tim;

The cross  won't hold a self supporting upright reliably in all soils,
and it might be marginal on supporting the downward force on a guyed tower.

Supporting downward force requires sufficient 'footprint' of the base.

The combined weight of a heavy concrete base and the tower and
equipment, multiplied by the radius of the base, prevents the wind from
tilting the base and tower without depending on sideways soil
resistance.  One has to measure soil characteristics to design a base
that depends on soil resistance, and the cost of that is greater than
the cost of a concrete base for typical amateur towers.  Another factor
in making them simple is the fact they are below ground and are
basically 'floating' in the ground, so it is usually  not necessary to
assess the load bearing characteristics of the soil.  Watch out for the
exceptions!

More sophisticated and larger structures require soil measurements and
engineering analyses.

Utility  poles are relatively small and an occasional 'leaner' isn't a
big problem.  It can be tolerated or repaired.

Similarly, one can compromise on temporary antenna supports, if the
investment is small.

Hope this helps.

73 de WO?W

PS:  What is your QTH?  My wife's grandfather was from Wexford and she
has relatives in Dun Laoghaire.  We flew our Cessna to Ireland in 1987,
with an IC-735 for HF communication and enjoyed the trip and the visit
immensely.