[TowerTalk] Burying radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Burying radials
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Fri Jun 6 15:42:03 2003
Gene/Bud

I tried the coat hanger wire also. It worked fine where I had soft soil.
Unfortunately, that is the exception not the rule here. I have alot of
small rocks in my soil very close to the surface. I found large 60D x 6"
nails at home depot do a really good job and are relatively cheap
($0.04 each). They are stiff enough (~1/4" diameter) that they will
push small rocks aside without bending the way coat hanger wire
does. I put them thru a flat washer to provide a bigger head so the
wire will be less apt to slip off. Using #14 solid copper THHN from
Home Depot, I found that a couple of wraps around the nail shaft
holds the wire quite nicely.  I just pound the head hard until its an inch
or two below grade level so the mower won't catch it.

For heavier duty, Home Depot also carries 3/8 x 8" and 3/8 x 12"
nails. These are quite a bit more expensive ($0.28 and $0.39 each
respectively), but are very good if you need the extra length or
holding power (they would probably make decent tent stakes).

Have fun!