[TowerTalk] Lowering mast on fixed tower

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lowering mast on fixed tower
From: "Bob Gates" <regates@kingwoodcable.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:38:44 -0500
Please excuse what, for most, is probably an elementary question.  But I feel
like Rip van Winkle, coming back into the hobby at such a late date.  I have a
question that I cannot figure out the solution to in my mind.  Assume a fixed
height tower, say Rohn 45G.  Assume a rotor mounted to an accessory plate 5'
below the top, with a 20' heavy duty mast extending up through the tower, Then
assume a yagi installed 10'-12' above the top of the tower.  How does one
perform maintenance on this antenna?  I assume you would need some means to
remove the rotor and lower the mast down through the tower.  After work is
completed, you would then need to raise the mast back up to the desired height
and reinstall the rotor.  The problem is increased if there is another antenna
installed on the mast, say 1' above the top of the tower.  Obviously you could
hire a crane at a gazillion dollars per hour to pick up the assembly and set it
on the ground.  But how would you do it without one?  Realistically, can you
climb up the mast to work on the top antenna?
Thanks in advance,

Bob  KG7KW