RE: [TowerTalk] Fiberglass UV

To: "WD4K" <WD4K2@charter.net>, "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Fiberglass UV
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:45:04 -0500
At 06:54 PM 3/23/04, WD4K wrote:
Are not the polygon guys made from solid material with a formula more than
glass matt, resin and topcoat over a hollow tube?  Just asking. I see no
common ground between these two products.

I have no idea. I do know that helping someone put up an antenna recently, I got fiberglass rash from letting the guy rod rub on my bare wrists, even though it looked shiny.

My point was that it is no more reasonable to extrapolate from experience with car bodies or sailboat antennas to the SteppIR element tubes than it is to assume that all those big towers will be falling down soon. "Fiberglass" covers a lot of territory, and only the chemists *may* know for sure.

73, Pete N4ZR
2671 calls now in the
World HF Contest Station Database
at www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm