Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR 4 Element Yagi - Analysis and Thoughts

To: "Bernard" <wtrone@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR 4 Element Yagi - Analysis and Thoughts
From: Rob Frohne <frohro@wwc.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:12:11 -0700

On Apr 14, 2004, at 5:13 AM, Bernard wrote:

Joe:

I was wondering if you or anyone else on this thread have considered
a single antenna (like a SteppIR) on a motorized tower where you could raise
and lower the tower to optimize to the angle of arrival. I haven't seen any
comments on this subject and I don't know if there are any computer programs
that take propagation data, etc. and calculate the optimum height. I know
that many "big guns" spend $1000s for that extra dB or two, but many of us
don't have the real-estate for multiple towers and/ or antenna stacks.

Comments, anyone?

73

Bernard, WA4OEJ

Hi Bernard,

I am working on that problem. I just put up an old Tri-Ex THD-7122 (122 foot in seven sections) crank up. My small hand drill will crank it up to about half height without much difficulty, but I have a big drill on order that should crank it up all the way. My idea is to leave it cranked down except when I want to test antennas out (or operate, which I seldom do much anymore). It cranks down to about 25 feet and is located by my shop which makes it easy to switch antennas on it. I decided to do this installation because I had the tower, and because I live on the edge of a 60 foot cliff, and couldn't come up with a good height to put my antennas at using the HFTA program. In one direction I would get good results at one height, but they weren't good at another. I intend on doing some experiments to see how it works in the real world.

I have been working on some ideas on how to make a Steppir like adjustable antenna as well, because this tower won't handle a big antenna like the four element five band quad I used before at my old QTH. The idea is that this setup will allow experimentation more easily than a regular tower and all that goes with it.

73,

Rob, KL7NA/W7

-- Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E. E.F. Cross School of Engineering Walla Walla College http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/