Re: [TowerTalk] Underground PVC Tubing?

To: "Jack NK7J" <nk7j@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Underground PVC Tubing?
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 04:02:18 -0700
From: "Jack NK7J" <nk7j@arrl.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 10:04 PM

> I was not worried about electric codes when I buried mine out to my two
> towers. I used sched 40 PVC water pipe, also known as 125PSI white PVC or
> something similar to that at the local supplier.

Schedule 40 and "schedule A" or "125 psi" aren't the same thing.  Sch 40 is
thicker wall.  Sch 80 is even thicker.

Electrical and water Sch40 PVC conduit are about the same cost. The water
pipe is white or pink usually (the pink has a UV inhibiter in it, or maybe
it's just the brands I have here).

Don't forget that the glue/cement is different for electrical and water
pipes too (I don't know that it's chemically any different, but they come in
different cans (at the same price)).

If you're worried about code compliance, then use the right materials. (The
cost difference is negligible)

The supplier steered me