Re: [TowerTalk] Amidon customer satisfaction

To: "Steve London" <n2ic@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Amidon customer satisfaction
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:03:14 -0400

This brings to mind a couple of questions:

What makes you assume they are ISO compliant unless they make that claim?
ISO  is a voluntary program. In industry it is voluntary, but so many major
customers require it that it is becoming mandatory by default.  Very few
small businesses are ISO compliant.

Many businesses claim ISO 9001, or 9002 compliance.  To do so requires they
undergo a yearly (or two year?) compliance check.

To top it off ISO 2001 and 2002, as Steve put it, is only a document that
accurately portrays you methods (whether they are right or wrong). It says
absolutely nothing about doing things properly.

The corporation I retired from was not only 9002 compliant, but the section
I worked with was FDA validated.  Now there you not only have to
prove/document *EVERY* step of every process including data flow, it has to
conform to FDA criteria and it is required.  I started out with a stack of
documents about an inch thick. When I (and the validation consultants)
finished we had a stack over 3 feet tall.  For ISO 9002 we only had to refer
to the stack of documentation.

> Good ideas from Arne...
>
> Just remember all ISO-9001 really says, in a nutshell, is "Say what you do
> (in writing), and do what you say (and prove it)".  So, I would ask them
for
> a copy of their process documentation pertaining to packaging of products.

Most likely IF they are 9001 compliant it is not that detailed.

> It would also be interesting to see what their process documentation says
> about assuring that the correct ferrite mix is being shipped.

As they are not the manufacturer all they would have to do is refer to the
place where they purchase them.  Like most retailers and whole salers they
probably have no way of knowing what is in the mix and no way of testing.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com