RE: [TowerTalk] Tower safety gear

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Tower safety gear
From: "Eugene Jensen" <eugenejensen@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 22:54:50 -0400
I have followed this with some interest.  Yes, technically hams do not have
to follow OSHA rules.  But on the other hand, there is no rule against dying
or being killed in a needless tower accident, is there?  The lineman belts,
waste belts and other restraining devices of this nature have long since
been outlawed for the simple reason you just drown in your own fluids while
you are hanging for 20 minutes dangling in the air -- and by the time they
rescue you, they are rescuing a corpse!
I know this is a little descriptive, but this is the world that I have
worked in and you don't get too many chances and the other subject is no
safety equipment - no matter how well designed -- can do you much good
unless you practice with it in a safe environment, and that is not by
dangling 100 feet in the air, hoping that you installed it correctly and
understand how to maneuver in it!
   There should never ever be a point where you are unhooked from your
tower!  In 12 feet, you will accellerate to an extremely high speed.  That
is why that OSHA approved fall restrictors are designed the way that they
are -- to limit the impact that your body receives in just a short distance
that you fall and it absorbs the shock of you falling.   May you all live
long and safely! Gene K2QWD

In a message dated 5/26/04 3:57:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time, ab2os@att.net
writes:

> One surely needs more than just a belt (e.g., hard hat, sturdy boots),
>  but why would a lineman's belt not suffice for the belt component of the
>  equipment?

    Okay, we've all climbed and worked using a simple waist safety belt. But
it is a potentially dangerous piece of safety equipment - if you fell and
were
caught by this belt in an upright position, the belt could be pulled up to
your chest and the pressure on your diaphragm could suffocate you. The waist
safety belt is no longer approved by OSHA.

    The OSHA compliant rig now is a fall arrest harness with a D-ring
between
your shoulder blades. The fall arrest lanyard is attached to it and the
other
end is hooked somewhere above you so that if you peel off, you're caught in
natural, non-lethal position.

    Since the OSHA rules only apply to persons that are doing it for a
profession and getting paid, you as a ham and weekend tower jock don't have
follow their rules. OTOH being attached to a tower as your waist positioning
belt
is unhooked and you're moving around the tower is a GOOD THING.

    The other thing about OSHA rules is that you need to be attached to the
tower 100% of the time; using your fall arrest lanyard as you climb is one
way
to do that.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Purveyors of professional OSHA approved safety equipment
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.championradio.com</A>
888-833-3104