RE: [TowerTalk] create cr30 rooftop

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] create cr30 rooftop
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:18:27 -0500
>So in conclusion, a down conductor is highly recommended.

Agree with statement.  But I think it does not provide much benefit unless
you are trying to protect an antenna at or near the tip of the tower.

If you ground each tower leg to a separate ground rod, most of a lightning
strike will be shunted away from equipment to be protected.  If earth
surrounding the tower is typically dry and of low conductance, use multiple
ground rods connected by copper wire, extended out from the tower base.

If a vertical antenna, such as one used for a repeater, is mounted to the
top of the tower, the likelihood of a direct strike causing its destruction
is quite high.  In this case, mounting a ferrite rod nearby with heavy
copper cable connecting it to a separate ground system will offer a more
attractive path for a strike.