Re: [TowerTalk] Erections (TWR)

To: K8fu@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Erections (TWR)
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:12:07 -0700
At 11:30 AM 7/14/2004 -0400, K8fu@aol.com wrote:
Regarding my earlier lockwasher question. This is a 90' steel self supporting
twr.
At this juncture of my life there are times when I can barely walk let alone
climbing 90' every 3 yrs to ck bolts.
It seems to me that with the addition of lock or star washers this could be a
set it and forget it operation.
Even though this is a self supporting twr with not a lot of windloading I do
intend to affix a torsion bar at the top to prevent the twr from twisting and
torque.

Or, an even better solution, since lockwashers are no guarantee of the nut remaining tight, particularly under vibration, how about using a threadlocking adhesive (example: Loc-Tite). Use the one that doesn't require heating with a torch to get the nut off, though.

Lockwashers are definitely not "set and forget", unless your hardware cold welds or rusts solid. The latter would be more likely with a lockwasher that would penetrate the zinc galvanizing, too.