Re: [TowerTalk] Tower costs

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower costs
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:23:42 EDT
Several ways to save on tower setups......

There are often hams who put up tower as a sideline....at a small fraction
of what pros charge.  If you have seen the guy's work and have  recommendations
from satisfied customers, check it out.  Several hams in FL  erect tower.  I
am not talking about 200 footers, just your standard 40-60  foot installation
of 25 or 45.

You say you only need 60 feet of 25.  Look around...maybe a couple of  guys
in the club need some also.  Lots of times someone will have a hell of  a deal
on 200 feet if you buy it all.  You just wind up splitting it  between the
three of you.

Don't forget the 'takedowns"...the freebies that people just want to get  rid
of.

Get to the tailgate areas bright and early...lots of goodies sometimes are
underpriced.

Not too long ago the Swedish embassy in DC was giving away two log
periodics...already down on the roof...just take them away.  Keep you ears  to
the
ground for this sort of stuff

Need guy wire....watch for takedowns of cable, telephone lines , etc.,
during new construction.  I once got several hundred feet of  coiled up copper
ground wire from a bunch of telephone poles...just for the  asking.  I got a
bunch
of used ground rods the same way.

Need a cheap antenna? Pick up some looking nasty looking antennas for the
aluminum and miscellaneous parts ...cheap.  Who cares if it works?   Scrap the
damn thing and use the aluminum to home-brew an antenna.

I lived on a teacher's salary for years and managed to build a superstation
by scrounging.  If your wallet is thin, keep your ear to the ground and be
creative.  It works!

Bill K4XS