[TowerTalk] ballpark costs for a tower (installed)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ballpark costs for a tower (installed)
From: "Roger Hackler" <rhackler@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:24:54 -0400
I'm just an average guy, with family and work commitments.  This is what I
have managed to do:

New Universal Aluminum 9-50 Self supporting tower.  XYL would have nothing
to do with guys so self supporting was the answer.  Couldn't afford a
crank-up, liked the idea of a fold over, so that was what I went with.
Bought it 2 years ago and it sat in my back yard.

KLM-KT-34 that I bought from a guy off of QTH.com 1 year ago.  Cleaned it up
and bought the M2 upgrade kit at Dayton.

VHF Vertical that I've had for years.

Alpha-Delta DX-A 40-80 sloper.

Ameritron RCS-4 switch.  Bought it new.

HAM 4 rotor and control.  Found it at Dayton.

Costs:

Tower, mast, RCS-4, Thrust Bearing, etc..    $1547.50
KLM Antenna                                                  170.00
M2 Upgrade Kit                                 200.00
Sloper                                          75.00
Rotor                                                        175.00
Coax, Control Cables, surge protection        375.00
8 Cu Clad 5/8 ground rods                       70.00
Ground wire/strap (scrounged)                          0.00
Cadweld one shots                               72.00
Misc Hardware                                   75.00
4x4x4 hole (dug it myself)                       0.00
Concrete                                       210.00
Line pump to get the concrete to the hole      270.00
Ditch Witch rental                              80.00
PVC, gravel, etc                               100.00

Total                                         3419.00

I know I've forgotten some stuff, so I can safely say that the total cash
outlay is under $4000.00.  This has been a project for over 2 years, so
that's about $170.00 a month getting this thing done.

Time is a relative thing, I wasn't in a hurry, and just did it as I had the
time and money.

Just my nickels worth.

73 de KN6RO