Re: [TowerTalk] My Tower cost

To: kb9cry@comcast.net, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My Tower cost
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:56:25 -0700
At 07:56 PM 8/24/2004 +0000, kb9cry@comcast.net wrote:
Tower cost will vary depending on the type of installation you're willing to put up. "Field day" style installations can be very inexpensive and can actually last a good many years but if you're going to follow all the manufacturer's recommendations and good tower engineering practices, then it's not cheap. Actually for my recent 120 ft. guyed Rohn 45, the tower and antenna were the least costly of the total. I didn't skimp on this installation and am confident it will, Lord willing, last a good many years with little worry.

Finally, someone made a comment that I feel compelled to write about. Your local ordinances or county or whatever may not require a tower permit but virtually all counties in the US require a permit whenever you pour structural concrete. And tower bases are structural concrete. Ask around on the Ham-Law reflector, but you may be sorry later on if you don't inquire about that special requirement. That's what I ended up with and am glad I did, I didn't need a tower permit but indeed needed a permit for the concrete so to speak. Gd luck, Phil KB9CRY

And, during a discussion at lunch today, the whole regulatory compliance aspect might make that "scrounged deal" not such a great deal. If you are in an area where they want you to get a permit for the antenna (which would be many, many suburban locations these days), they might want a LOT more documentation and analysis for something scrounged and with uncertain provenance, than for a "brand new out of the box with manufacturer's recent paperwork". You could wind up spending more in testing and engineering analysis than you'd spend on the new tower.

I also note, based on the responses over the past day (thank you all!) that it's all the incidentals that add to the cost. The tower itself might not be a big item (particularly if you're using a non telescoping, guyed or bracketed tower), but digging the hole, pouring the concrete, all the hardware, etc., really does add up. Fortunately for those on limited budgets, a lot of these things are susceptible to time/money trades (dig the hole yourself (something I wouldn't wish on anyone), collect connectors and cable over a series of years, etc.)

Jim, W6RMK