Re: [TowerTalk] My Tower cost

To: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My Tower cost
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:20:33 -0400

On Aug 24, 2004, at 3:40 PM, Tower (K8RI) wrote:

I've had 40 and 50 foot towers that had a tribander, or monobander on top, used dirt bases,
1/8" guy lines hooked to 8' fence posts that withstood over 70 MPH winds.

Sounds like you were lucky. This doesn't appear to be a well-engineered installation, and sounds far inferior to what the manufacturer recommends.

I had one 40' bracketed to the end of the house, that used a dirt base and
1/8" steel guys that had a 5L KLM 20 meter beam on a 42 foot boom. I had a
second 40 foot tower that was just out in the back yard holding a 6L 15
meter KLM on a 42 foot boom, and I had a third 40 footer in the garden with
a 7L 10 meter Wilson on a 39 foot boom. On all, the guy anchors were nothing more than 8' steel fence posts driven in about 2 1/2 feet of clay/loam. These systems
withstood over 70 MPH winds out in the open country on a good many
occasions.

You're one darn lucky fellow. Are you promoting the installation of marginal towers?

I'm all for being cheap, but I refused to cut corners when it comes to safety. Consider how your insurance company would react when they discover an improperly engineered tower installation was the cause of damage.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901