Re: [TowerTalk] My Tower cost

To: Blake Bowers <bbowers@townsqr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My Tower cost
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:28:24 -0500
As an addendum to the Texas reference, State Rep. Vickie Truitt R-Keller TX) has said she will introduce in the next session of the Texas Legislature a tower zoning ordinance for unincorporated areas. This supposedly will apply to cellular towers only, but when the Texas Legislature meets strange and weird things happen and many legislators never even read the bills they are voting on and pass weird things they have to undo later. I live in her district and plan on writing her voicing my concerns.

I refer back to the 1970s when a TX state senator introduced and got passed in the Texas State Senate a resolution praising Albert De Salvo for his efforts at population control. The measure was done to show no one reads many of the items the Legislature passes. In case anyone doesn't remember, Albert DeSalvo was convicted as the Boston Strangler.

This current item came about when Sprint erected a tower on unincorporated land behind a subdivision inside the Fort Worth city limits and now the HOA, et. al. are complaining that they weren't notified, except there is nothing requiring them to be notified since it was on unincorporated land outside any city limits. Copies of two stories from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram are quoted below. Note reference to possible legislation in the eighth paragraph of the first story.

Residents fear cellphone tower will hurt their property values

By Jessica Deleon

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Fran Kubesh and her husband, Rob, were installing a deck July 9 when they noticed construction activity behind their back yard.

A few days later, they discovered what was being built -- a cellphone tower.

The silver-colored metal pole juts more than 150 feet into the air and sits 22 feet from the Kubesh home in the Villages of Woodland Springs, a subdivision in far north Fort Worth.

The tower, 4 feet wide at the base, was not a pleasant surprise. The Sprint PCS structure popped up without any notice and is expected to be in service in early September. Now residents are worried that the property values of their $150,000 houses will drop.

Residents were not warned about the tower because it sits on unincorporated county land. Tarrant County has no zoning restrictions regarding such towers and requires no prior notification to area residents.

For Fran Kubesh, 38, the tower has been a nightmare since construction began, including having to clean up after workers who dropped cigarette butts and sunflower seeds into the family's above-ground pool.

"I just cannot believe this actually happened to us," she said.

After talking with residents, state Rep. Vicki Truitt, R-Keller, said she plans to introduce legislation next year that would require urban and suburban counties to zone such towers. But Woodland Springs residents may not have any recourse.

"I'm not sure if they're going to have any legal standing," Truitt said. "That's why I want to change the law. It will, unfortunately, come too late to help these folks."

If the tower were in Fort Worth, homeowners who lived within 300 feet would have received notices in the mail 10 days before a Board of Adjustment hearing, said John Garfield, Fort Worth assistant director of development.

Sprint spokeswoman Roxie Ramirez said the company erected the tower to serve the population growth and to provide better coverage. Sprint looked at several locations, then approached Lee and Susie Finley, who own Newton Business Park on Katy Road. The park has about 50 tenants.

The Finleys helped Sprint find the highest point on the property, as did their manager, Steve Fox, who lives in Woodland Springs.

The best spot was at the very back of the property, next to the Woodland Springs boundary.

The towers can cost between $250,000 and $500,000, Ramirez said. She and the Finleys declined to say how much it cost for the tower to be placed on the land.

"We have the right to do whatever we want to do with it if it's within the zoning of the area," said Lee Finley, whose family has owned the land for more than 45 years.

"So maybe the people should have to check out the zoning of the property next to them before they build their houses there," he said. "I think we have as much right to do we want with our property, after owning it that period of time, as they have to do with theirs."

Once the tower starts operating, workers will stop by only occasionally for maintenance.

Then maybe the Kubeshes will be able to enjoy their new deck and use their trampoline. Fran Kubesh will return to her gardening, one of her favorite hobbies.

"My No. 1 goal is to have it moved," she said. "But I'd like to see it never happen to another community."

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/states/texas/northeast/9421610.htm
Neighborhood gets surprise phone tower

By Jessica Deleon

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Residents of the Villages of Woodland Springs got quite a surprise in July.

Sprint PCS erected a 150-foot cellphone tower just behind some of their back yards. The tower is 22 feet away from the home of Fran Kubesh, who hasn't been able to enjoy the deck she and husband Rob recently installed.

But the tower is legal. The subdivision is in far north Fort Worth, but the tower is on unincorporated land. Because Tarrant County has no zoning restrictions regarding cellphone towers, neither Sprint nor the property owner had to give residents notice.

Residents, including Mark Faselle, are not happy.

"It's quite comical of how they did it," he said. "They did it as quickly as possible. Everybody just woke up and, hello, there it was."

RESIDENTS MAY HAVE NO RECOURSE | 2B

Blake Bowers wrote:
I would be very careful with this comment.  Most of the counties
in KS, MO, AR, NE, IA, TX, OK, and many more require no
permits of any kind for a tower base, as well as a tower.