Re: [TowerTalk] verticals in woods vs. in a field

To: "Tom Rauch" <W8JI@contesting.com>, "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>,"towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] verticals in woods vs. in a field
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:38:39 -0700
It might be interesting to take a freshly cut try stump (so 8 to 10 feet),
wrap it with copper sheet, bore the center out for a copper pipe,
and the do some impedance measurements of the resulting
coaxial transmission line. With some careful measurements, you
might be able to get a handle on the dielectric properties of the
green wood, which in turn could be used to predict the losses
associated with a stand of similar trees if you had the right EM
modeling tools. Do any of the NEC programs do lossy dielectric
cylinders?

73 de Mike, W4EF