Re: [TowerTalk] verticals in woods vs. in a field

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>,"Tom Rauch" <W8JI@contesting.com>, "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>,"towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] verticals in woods vs. in a field
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:06:41 -0400
I'm not sure the dielectric properties of such a poor conductor will mean much. The dielectric of something touching a conductor is another matter, but these are not "close" and the field around conductors diminishes very quickly.

I went outside and took the sharp picks of my Fluke multimeter and stuck them through the bark into the wet of several different kinds of live trees. An oak measured over 1 meg across two feet vertical on the trunk. One of my maples measured over 100K and interestingly did a very slow charge like an electrolytic capacitor, measuring over 500K after five minutes.

All you need is a multimeter with sharp enough prods to dig into the wet layer of the tree.

If there isn't something in the tree that will allow a fair amount of current, there won't be enough current to induce loss by the dielectric properties. 50K or more ohms per foot not exactly conducive to current.

73, Guy.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>