Re: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing Usage

To: "ChetMoore" <ChetMoore@cox.net>, <ve5ra@sasktel.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing Usage
From: <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:33:23 -0500
As much as it pains me to see this thread revived so
quickly after it died out the last time (this is well covered
in the archives)...

I'm in the bear-the-weight-on-the-rotator camp.

As one has suggested, many bearings have screws
designed only to centre the mast. Also, as far as even
the HyGain CD45II is concerned, there are more
bearings on more races in rotators than in typical thrust
bearings.

If this makes rotator failure more frequent, so be it.
Think about it: if I have to change out the rotator, that's a
fairly simple procedure, even on one that's bearing
weight. If I have to change out the thrust bearing, I have
to make one end of the mast pass through the thrust
bearing.  I'd rather lift the antenna-mast assembly the
1/8-inch or so it will take to remove the weight from the
rotator than the two feet or more it will take to have the
lower end of the mast come out of the tower... From that
standpoint, I'd want to make sure the thrust bearing
lasts as long as possible. No matter how you cut it,
replacing a thrust bearing is a big job, perhaps even
mandating lowering all the antennas to the ground.

73, kelly
ve4xt

<towertalk@contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Thrust Bearing Usage
>
> I'm with Doug.  Rotor change out is so much easier
this way.

> 73
>
> Chet N6ZO

side screws ARE used
> > to support the weight of the mast and antennas at
my QTH.  I have not had
> > any adverse reactions from using this method and it
certainly simplifies
> > the process when having to change out a rotor.
Care must be taken when
> > using the words "never" and "always".
> >
> > Doug
> >
> > kb9cry@comcast.net wrote:
> >
> >    So both are sharing the loads.  Also, the thrust
bearing side screws
> are only
> >    used to center the mast in the bearing; they are
never used to hold the
> weight
> >    of the assembly.  To change out the rotator I'll
either use a
> come-a-long inside
> >    of the tower and jack up the mast or use a
scissors jack on the top
> plate and
> >    jack up against the antenna boom to mast plate.
Gd luck, Phil  KB9CRY

> > --
> > Doug Renwick VA5DX
> > PO Box 50, Clavet, Saskatchewan, Canada S0K
0Y0
> > VE5RA@sasktel.net
> > First VE5 9BDXCC
> > What profit it a ham if he gains all the awards yet
forfeits his soul?

____

> > See: http://www.mscomputer.com  for "Self
Supporting Towers", "Wireless
> Weather Stations", and lot's more.  Call Toll Free,
1-800-333-9041 with any

____