[TowerTalk] Force12 80/40 mag 2/2 yagi antenna

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force12 80/40 mag 2/2 yagi antenna
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:17:44 -0800
I would very much appreciate receiving comments, both good and bad,
concerning your experience with this antenna.

I have had an unopened boxed one in the garage for almost three years
and now I want to either install it or dispose of it.

PROS?
My reasoning at the time of purchase was that two element yagis might be
better suited for my operations because of the wider beamwidth vs more
elements and narrower beamwidth.  Secondly, for a little more money and
work than putting up a single band 40m beam, the 80m beam with ~4db gain
would be available.

CONS?
- The extra work involved appears not to be little, but formidable
instead.
- The beam will only be at about 75/85' high.
- The coil switching setup provided switches between the low ends of the
CW and FONE bands but my intent was to be able to switch between the low
end of CW band and the high end of the FONE band.  This might be easily
solved by building new coils to switch in?
- The only two user experiences that I know have been unfavorable; one
was from a well-known and knowledgeable antenna ham who purchased one
used and thought it was not worth installing.  The other user experience
was the ham that sold it to him at a greatly reduced price, but I am
guessing at why it was sold cheaply!

I doubt if this antenna is actively marketed now so I just responses be
sent to me direct.

thanks & 73
k7puc