Re: [TowerTalk] Noise

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Noise
From: Greg Gobleman <k9zm@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 18:15:14 -0600
I had a guy wire on a power pole which was very close to the support cable for the cable TV. Not sure what the power company may have had attached to the guy wire, as a possible ground, or.... Anyway, every time the wind was easterly, it pushed the pole just enough to arc between those two and I had terrible noise.

I was running around with a little AM radio and gave that guy wire a shaking and discovered that is what it was. As it swayed it arced. Power company put a big rubber wrap around insulator on it and I had no problem after that.

Interesting that everything in the neighborhood radiated that noise. Fences, lines, guys. For several blocks around, when the source was in front of my house.

73
Greg K9ZM