Re: [TowerTalk] Noise

To: "Bill" <w5vx@hiline.net>,"'Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS)'" <nv8a@att.net>,"'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Noise
From: Dave NØRQ (lists) <n0rq-lists@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 18:28:37 -0600
I can't speak to the MFJ unit, though I imagine it works OK.

I've done quite a bit of power line noise hunting over the last
year or two, and have found that a 2m HT (NOT in FM mode)
and a smallish 2m handheld beam works great.  In my case,
the FT-50RD has AM mode, and a 3-element Arrow handheld
antenna does a wonderful job at it.  I think I'd be frustrated
by a little loop.  The better directionality and ability to change
polarization with a twist of the wrist is nice.

After you ID the pole, let the power company do the fixing.
It is *their* responsibility.  You might have to stand underneath
while they work, so they can tell when they fixed it.  They might
tighten everything, check the lightning arrestor, etc... something
is amiss that needs to be fixed.

--
Dave NØRQ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill" <w5vx@hiline.net>