Re: [TowerTalk] Vacuum tube 100 years old today

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vacuum tube 100 years old today
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:53:37 -0600
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:10:03 -0800, Bob Nielsen wrote:

>I was taking a senior physics class in electronics at UCLA in 1962 and
>we spent some time studying vacuum tube circuits.  The professor was
>asked if we were going to learn anything about transistors and replied
>that he had never studied them himself, since he felt that they were a
>fad which wouldn't last.

I was luckier. My EE class (Univ of Cincinnati, 1964) was the last that was
required purchase the complete 5-volume set of RCA tube manuals. We used
them extensively (to study load lines), but we also studied solid state
electronics. We had two text books for circuit analysis -- one an excellent
older
one by Bill Middendorf, who taught the course (he was also a great teacher),
and the other a newer one that was better suited to analysis of solid state
electronics.

All of this stuff is still in my library, along with Terman, Radiotron
Designer's
Handbook, etc.

Jim Brown  K9YC