RE: [TowerTalk] Tube vs Transistor

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Tube vs Transistor
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:48:53 -0600
Agree with this assessment.  I use a McIntosh MA6100 amp/preamp and
Sennheiser headphones (to eliminate spousal complaints about loud music) at
home.  This amp is not offered now, going out of production many years ago.
It was the first all solid state and first amp/preamp offered by the
company.  THD is less than .01% at 70 watts per channel RMS into 8 ohms,
20Hz to 20KHz (as shown on chart produced by spectrum analyzer).  It sounds
as good or better than any tube equipment I have ever heard, with speakers
or headphones.  The setup is about as clean as you can get.  BTW, the MA6100
is very heavy, primarily due to use of massive auto transformers at the
speaker terminals which yield a damping factor 50.

Keith NM5G