Re: [TowerTalk] Vacuum tube 100 years old today

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>,"160m QTH" <160m@mailman.qth.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vacuum tube 100 years old today
From: "Chuck Lewis" <clewis@knology.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:33:35 -0600
And from the October 1948 issue of QST, in a "Technical Topics" article on
page 48, headed "The 'Transistor' - an Amplifying Crystal", this excerpt -
the final paragraph:

"It doesn't appear that there will be much use made of Transistors in
amateur work, unless it is portable and/or compact audio amplifiers. The
noise figure is said to be poor, compared to that obtainable with vacuum
tubes, and this fact may limit the usefulness in some amateur applications.
These clever little devices are worth keeping an eye on". The article
describes a germanium point-contact device made by (of course) Bell Labs and
having two 'catwhisker' point contacts spaced approximately .002 inches
apart!

Staying on topic: the same issue describes a dual-band four element beam
using harmonically related bands to feed a driven element as a half-wave
dipole on the lower band and as two close spaced halfwave collinear dipoles
on the higher band. The parasitic elements were split with an L/C network in
the middle to present a series -resonant short at the low band, and parallel
resonance on the higher band (to allow them to act as half-wave collinear
phased parasitic elements) .

Multi-band full size yagis on the same boom with one feedline and no(?)
traps. Slick, huh? (grin).

Chuck, N4NM