RE: [TowerTalk] Tower Conundrum

To: whp@att.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Tower Conundrum
From: Josh <jtuel@everestkc.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:48:22 -0600
Universal Aluminum... See:

http://texastowers.com/universa.htm
http://www.universaltowers.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-bounces@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Bill Powell
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 4:54 PM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Conundrum

I'm finally getting around to erecting a tower but have run into an
unanticipated issue.
I already have a brand new HDBX-48 which would suit my needs perfectly
except...

The township PERMITS (already zoned, no battles with the neighbors, no
hearings and lawsuits...) amateur radio towers up to 75' in height as
normal, permitted accessory structures providing that:
 - the tower be set back at least 1:1 from the nearest property line,
 - the tower be located in the back yard: behind a line formed by the
rearmost point of the main structure.

It's the second condition that gets me as I had intended to place the HDBX
along the garage at the roof peak - essentially in the side yard.  Erected
there, I'd have enough clear space to construct and raise the tower as well
as to be able to easily clear boom and elements of the antennas from the one
nearby tree.
That same tower, located in the "back" yard poses a problem in that it's too
low: the antennas would catch in 2 different trees and I will NOT remove ANY
trees.

So...  It looks like I'm destined to put up a 70' - 75' monster instead of a
modest 48' tower.  So much for zoning meeting the needs of the citizens in
the community...

First question is what other free-standing (NO guys - NO "house" brackets)
70'+ towers exist besides AN and Trylon?  Please don't loose sight of the
fact that I work for a living and have to be able to afford to put antennas
and a rotor on it too!

So far, the AN looks very nice but the advertised price is simply outta the
ball-park.
Trylon just doesn't turn me on with their construction and complete lack of
pre-sales technical
 data.
I have heard runors that Rohn will do a "deal" with hams but have NO
supportive data.
Does the "One Man Tower" really exist in the US?

Constructive suggestions and ideas?

Thanks,
Bill - WB1GOT