Re: [TowerTalk] Rotors - your thoughts please.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotors - your thoughts please.
From: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:44:50 -0500
Me? I happen to like the Pro sis tel (Big Boy) series of rotors. I consider them the best on the market, BUT they are big, powerful, and expensive. They have changed the motor design so it better fits most towers. Mine is the older PST61 which weighs about 35# I would not hesitate to purchase one of the new ones. In my case, probably the PST62HD which has 1,925 inch pounds of torque, or over 25,000 inch pounds of braking torque. http://web.tiscali.it/I7PHH/ BTW, they do make a bracket for mounting the earlier one on 45 and 55G towers. I just turned the motor to fit.

Then there is the big monster PST71 at 66#. With the discussion a while back as to thrust bearings, the PST61 is designed to hold a vertical weight of 1,800# while the PST 71 will support 2,200#

I'm turning a relatively massive array, but pretty puny compared to some on here. I don't have a lot of wind induced torque, but then again it's not insignificant. I have a TH-5 at 100 feet, a 7L C3i 6-meter beam (28 foot boom) at 115 feet, and stacked pairs of 11 L 440s and 12 L 144s on a 14 foot cross boom at 130 feet. All in all, probably about 500 to 600#.

The Tail Twister didn't last long enough to say I ever used one. I don't think I'd try the Yaesu although I like the looks. It *reportedly* has some fragile gears. The HDR series of rotors probably have the strength, but their design is such you have to release the brake and then turn the motor on. The brake switch is an On/Off switch and might do better with a momentary. Still, I'm not fond of the spur gear arrangement for turning massive loads, or high torque.
I'd not want to try turning the array in high winds with an HDR... again. <:-))

I like the double worm gear arrangement of the Pro Sis Tel. The Alpha Spid uses the same approach but different mechanical layout. The ratings on the Alpha Spid are a bit lighter than the PST61 for torque (but not a lot) and they are considerably less expensive at roughly $600 compared to about $1300 for the PST61D and $2,000 for the PST61DHP. the PST71D is going to be over $2500 by the time you get it home. The prices have gone up considerably since I purchased mine three years ago. This thread had me considering the purchase of a spare until I saw the current prices from the US distributor.

I like the figures on the Alpha Spid although not quite up to the PST61 or 71, but don't like the way it mounts. I want a flat plate mount inside the tower and I really don't like flat plate to post adapters.

Although it is considerably less money and more bang for the buck I'd probably still stay with another PST61, but PST61DHP this time. No more water problems inside the motor. If I wasn't turning such a massive load I'd go for the Alpha Spid and figure out a way to change the mount.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Thats an easy question to answer...Spid without a doubt.

Lee Buller wrote:

So, what do people like out there? T2X? Yaesu? Stay with what I got? AlphSpid?

Lee - K0WA

-- Doug Renwick VA5DX PO Box 50, Clavet, Saskatchewan, Canada S0K 0Y0 VE5RA@sasktel.net First VE5 9BDXCC What profit it a ham if he gains all the awards yet forfeits his soul? I'll run the race and I will never be the same again.